Associate Director, Operations
Staffing Placement Opportunity
- The Associate Director, Operations is responsible for providing strategic and operational leadership in managing all aspects of the clients technical computing infrastructure, including Client Services, Infrastructure Services, and Audio Visual Services. This position is responsible for the analysis, design, planning, implementation, management, and maintenance of all facets of the technical computing environment to effectively and efficiently support the operations and management of the organization.
- The Associate Director, Operations, works closely with the Deputy Chief Information Officer and other key stakeholders to identify and implement cost-effective technology solutions and services for all aspects of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy and Planning
- Formulate and deploy long-term strategic plans for acquiring and enabling efficient and cost-effective information processing and communication technologies.
- Manage IT department operational and strategic planning, including business requirements, project planning, and organizing and negotiating the allocation of resources.
- Responsible for oversight of the entire network and system infrastructure, ensuring proper configuration, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of security firewalls, sites/software, servers, data and file encryption, and internet connections.
- Recommend policies and procedures related to the use and management of data, information and systems.
- Lead the team to improve and modify the organizations technology infrastructure in response to changes in technology, the educational environment, and according to the organizations Strategic Mission, Vision and Goals.
- Provide recommendations to the IT leadership team to develop the IT strategy to help establish departmental goals and objectives.
- Analyze data to assess the effectiveness of the department by looking for trends and identifying problems.
- Ensure the confidentiality, security, and stewardship of data, including compliance with freedom of information and protection of privacy legislation.
- Responsible for ensuring that all departmental, organizational, and governmental policies, procedures and methods are adhered.
- Develop departmental policies, standards and procedures for Client Services, Infrastructure Services and Audio Visual Services to ensures compliance.
- Anticipate the need for technical tools to enhance the efficiency of the organization’s technical infrastructure.
Collaboration and Support
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of the organization’s technical computing infrastructure by managing the implementation, operation, maintenance, and enhancements; and providing ongoing support, including computers, servers, storage, operating systems, networks, audiovisual systems, security and telephony.
- Selects and manages the implementation of systems that support the organization’s technical infrastructure and services.
- In conjunction with the IT leadership team ensures the integration of applications, systems and infrastructure technologies.
- Liaise with the Facilities department to design, implement, and operate IT supporting physical infrastructures, such as air conditioning, UPS, security, cabling, student labs, and safety.
- Create evergreen processes that refresh workstations, servers and classroom equipment.
- Oversees the team in conducting research and maintaining current knowledge and best practices in the Information Technology industry and develops innovative plans to ensure that the organization’s information technology systems take advantage of emerging technology.
- Ensures effective liaison between the IT and other Departments.
- Resolves complex issues and concerns and troubleshoots as necessary.
- Foster a progressive culture that encourages all employees to use available information technology and resources to their full advantage.
Cybersecurity and Risk
- Create and implement IT policies and procedures that enable strong security and risk-management capabilities.
- Assists in implementing and managing the execution of the cybersecurity security strategy.
- Response and coordinate to cybersecurity incidents when necessary.
- Develop, maintain, document, and communicate a detailed Disaster Recovery Plan subject to external audit.
- Implement and document business continuity and disaster recovery strategies to resume infrastructure operations in a disaster.
- Coordinate the disaster recovery plan immediately following a disaster.
- Work with the clients auditors to ensure that Information systems and practices meet appropriate standards.
- Define, implement, and evaluate short/long term and future project plan.
- Prioritize and schedule activities; monitors and responds to changes to the technical environment, and allocates resources for the application development team.
- Ensures completion of IT projects within allotted timeframes assigned budget.
- In conjunction with the IT leadership team, reviews and approves project proposals and ensures project requirements are met and implemented as necessary.
- Provides technical leadership to project teams, creating and maintaining a positive environment within the department that is conducive to effective communications.
- Provides support in the various stages of technical project planning and implementation.
Human Resources Management
- Partner with Human Resources department to determine hiring and recruitment criteria and principles to guarantee consistent and high departmental performance.
- Provide effective leadership and direction to all staff by establishing priorities and objectives and fosters effective teamwork among employees.
- Manage IT staffing, including recruitment, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation, and disciplinary actions.
- Work with managers and supervisors to identify ongoing training and professional development needs for all staff to ensure they are trained and knowledgeable in organization and Departmental policies, procedures and processes.
- Set performance objectives, conducts performance evaluations and recommends remedial or disciplinary action as required.
- Promote effective union/management relationships. Represents management where required in the grievance process.
- Provide input into or participate in the collective bargaining on behalf of clients administration, when necessary.
- Mentor Information Technology personnel, promoting their professional growth, and readying them for the occupation of his position in the future.
- Administer terms of Computer and Computing Use Policy and resolves issues of non-compliance with staff.
- Develop and implements budgeting plans by estimating, forecasting and anticipating the needs of the department.
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Approve and monitor expenditures within allotted budgets.
- Work and negotiate with vendors on a regular basis to obtain product information, establish specific or contractual expectations, manage new or existing contracts.
- Partner with Finance department on budget planning and procurement processes.
- Explore new technologies and software as appropriate.
- In conjunction with the IT Leadership group oversees the architecture and implementation of ongoing support of the network, server, and communications infrastructure in order to ensure high performance of the IT department.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business Administration, or related field.
- Eight (8) years of recent senior-level experience in an information technology infrastructure environment
- Several years’ experience managing staff in a complex unionized environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Current ITIL Certification required.
- Experience with multiple operating environments (Windows, Novell, Solaris, Linux, VMware, Cisco, Oracle etc.) is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with service methodologies, servers, storage, operating systems, networking, telephony, and machine room infrastructure.
- In depth understanding and experience in IT technology architectures, disaster recovery processes, acquisition processes and contract negotiation.
- Knowledge of government regulations and other policies and procedures such as FOIPPA, etc.
- Knowledge of project management principles, methods and practices, including developing plans and schedules, estimating resource requirements, defining milestones and deliverables, monitoring activities and reporting on accomplishments.
- Strong understanding of human resource management principles, practices, and procedures.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) in both highly technical and non technical environments with all levels of the organization. Effective presentation communication skills required and able to clearly explain concepts to diverse audiences.
- Ability to direct complex technology projects, including developing proposals, setting budgets, project planning and implementation.
- Ability to effectively lead and direct the work of others..
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with management, faculty, employees, facilities and security staff, vendors, other institutions, external agencies and/or the general public.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships and to provide excellent customer service to all clients.
- Ability to develop, plan, execute and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to effectively meet deadlines and organizational requirements.
- Ability to maintain a broad knowledge of current technology and practices in information systems and technology.
- Ability to interpret and comply with policies, procedures and regulations.
Note; This job opportunity is with a Microserve client.