Project Manager, Software QA (9 Month Contract)
New Westminster, BC
Staffing Placement Opportunity
The successful candidate is expected to closely adhere to the clients BTS’s Project Management methodology (templates, gates, phases and stages) and the BTS Software QA guidelines and best practices. Duties will include all aspects of the Project Management Lifecycle including project initiation and planning, executing, monitoring and control, and closing – scope, time and cost management; procurement management; quality management; risk identification and mitigation; resource management; stakeholder and communications management; risk management.
Reporting to the DOMS Software Prep./Test Project Manager and working closely with senior staff, the DPRP Program functional and technical team members, and external services provider(s), the successful candidate will perform all aspects related to the management of the assigned project(s). This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Develop an integrated project plan and subsequently execute and monitor the plan.
- Direct the activities of internal and external (contracted) resources as required by the project.
- Develop and manage the project governance structure to drive consensus on project issues and achieve desired outcomes.
- Prepare and communicate detailed monthly and ad hoc reports to stakeholders including status reports and updates to the Program Manager and, when required, the Project Steering Committee (PSC).
- Scope Management: utilize the project governance structure to establish and maintain clear project boundaries and agreement on project scope.
- Schedule Management: establish and monitor project schedule ensuring adherence to key milestones.
- Risk Management: identify and monitor risks and propose mitigation strategies as appropriate.
- Resolve high impact risks and issues across inter-related projects.
- Team Leadership: manage a diverse team comprised of internal and external resources, technical experts. and senior leaders in the organization. Well-developed interpersonal skills and business acumen will be critical.
- Budget and Contract Management: manage the project budget including sub-contractor and supplier performance.
- Software quality assurance management: oversee the software quality assurance testing effort (test strategy, test plan, schedule, resource plan, testing effort, etc.) throughout the project life cycle.
- Strong adherence to the BTS Software Quality Assurance methodology, guidelines and best practices.
- Strong adherence to the clients BTS Project Management Methodology (Atlas) including the creation of various project documents and other artefacts, as well as those created by project team members.
Normal project management deliverables and supporting documentation will be expected. These include, but are not limited to, the following as defined in the standard delivery methodology for the Business Technology Services division:
- Defining of the project governance (controls).
- Preparation of a comprehensive and integrated project management plan, following the clients BTS PMO template, for incorporation into the overall program plan into the overall program plan.
- Developing and controlling the project deadlines, budgets and activities.
- Development and maintaining of the Project Communications and Risk Management Plans.
- Preparation of Monthly Project Status Reports filed in the clients portfolio reporting system.
- Preparation of the Technical and Steering Committee meeting documentation (i.e. presentations, review materials, minutes, support documentation, technical memorandums, etc.)
- Development and maintenance pf Project Cash Flow Forecasts/Budget Updates.
- In conjunction with other BTS teams and the external software provider, preparation and delivery of the Software Quality Assurance Test Strategy, Plan, test materials, and tracking controls.
- Preparation and obtaining sign-off on the Software Quality Assurance Test Closeout Reports.
Knowledge and Experience
As this is a complex engagement supporting the replacement of a mission-critical application for CMBC, a well-seasoned Project Manager with senior level experience managing the software quality assurance testing discipline and effort.
In this role, the Project Manager, Software QA will be working closely with a broad range of senior management as well as internal and external stakeholders to map business goals to solution requirements from the perspective of both technical and non-technical stakeholder groups.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Experience in the Transit business domain is desired.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Technical Diploma in an applicable area such as Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of full cycle technology project management experience, from conceptual, to requirements gathering, to system design, system build, system testing, commissioning, and cutover. Solid understanding of project management techniques, methodologies, and best practices.
- Senior level experience with and understanding of Software Quality Assurance (QA) testing methodologies and best practices.
- Senior level experience with developing QA testing strategies and test plans to support the same.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is a plus but not a mandatory requirement.
- Ability to work within corporate PMO guidelines.
- Strong leadership, management, and problem-solving skills.
- Senior level experience in developing and implementing technology projects and business process initiatives designed to improve efficiencies. Must have managed project with budgets in excess of $2M and teams of more than 10 people.
- Excellent interpersonal skills combined with highly developed communications skills, both verbal and written, are a must.
- Experienced working with, communicating to, and making formal presentations and recommendations to senior management within a large, complex organization.
- Extensive and proven experience facilitating and managing consultation processes with a wide range of stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrated senior level experience managing the testing effort for a large, complex COTS application implementation (test plan & strategies, test logs, test cases, and defect prioritization/tracking).
- Experience leading an interdisciplinary team of technical and business resources effectively.
- Experience working in a multi-tasking environment and coordinating with remote project team(s) and members.
- Proven ability to gain and use an understanding of the wider program goals in deciding the supporting project(s) strategies/objectives.
- Proven ability to manage/coordinate activities and resources in conjunction with other inter-related program projects.
- Experience gathering, analyzing, and writing formal functional and technical requirements documentation.
- Proven ability to “protect the project” by proactively identifying and managing change, risks, and issues.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate change management and process improvement principles into the project.
- Experience in managing external vendors.
- Management experience in automated testing and/or automation framework will be considered an asset.
- Experience with data quality and CI/CD pipeline will be considered an asset.
- Excellent proficiency with MS Office toolsets (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project).
- Experience with SharePoint.
Note; this is an opportunity with a Microserve client