R&D Manager- C++
Location: Richmond, BC
Staffing Placement Opportunity
Reporting to the Director of Software Engineering, the R&D Manager will provide front-line Product Development leadership to designated agile scrum team(s) to achieve company, team and personal goals. This team will be cross functional in nature, containing product ownership, development and quality responsibilities.
Key Deliverables & Responsibilities:
- Foster an atmosphere of continuous improvement by serving as a coach, mentor, and technical advisor to your teams. Develop an environment that encourages quality, productivity, and innovation in accordance with our Values.
- Diagnose and resolve systemic obstacles that prevent your team from delivering high-quality software.
- Facilitate team stand-ups, planning, and review meetings as functional (or Scrum master for teams that do not have one designated).
- Work closely with product management and other teams to understand business and technology needs. Working with program management, report manager and maintain visibility for timelines and release schedules.
- Set performance goals for team members; evaluate performance; provide coaching and facilitate professional development to help members reach career and company related goals
- Build strategies towards maintaining high performing teams and individuals.
- Providing product and technical leadership to all team members and driving innovation in technology and product ideas. Expect and require innovation and engineering excellence from your teams.
- Lead design, code reviews to ensure a consistent high level of design and implementation
- Participate in code reviews and/or test plan reviews as part of the regular sprint cadence.
- Work with the Director of R&D as well as other local and remote managers to incrementally improve internal processes and tooling, driving on software quality and release efficiencies.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY REQUIRED:
Experience and Knowledge
- University Degree or College Diploma in Computer Science, Engineering or a related STEM discipline
- Deep Understanding of scalable distributed real-time systems, software architecture, data structure and optimization algorithms
- Demonstrated experience with teams utilizing scrum software development methodologies
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including best practises related to coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and deployment.
- Previous engineering management experience or at least 5+ years of senior software development and team lead experience.
- Expert working knowledge utilizing C++, TCP, UDP, GPS
- IIoT, Cloud and web-based solutions SQL and historian databases all assets
- Previous experience with fleet optimization, mining, automotive technologies a great asset
Skills and Abilities
- Strong ability to lead a team and set priorities and expectations
- Ability to work in a multi-team environment with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously with excellent project management capabilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to teach and apply new technologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Highly self-motivated and directed
Note; This opportunity is with a Microserve client.