Systems Administrator, Infrastructure (Permanent)
Location: Vancouver, BC
Reporting to the Manager of IT Infrastructure, the Systems Administrator deploys and maintains core IT Infrastructure services, business applications, network, security systems, telephony services, backup and data center environments. The Systems Administrators are the first level to resolve day to day tickets escalated from the IT Service Desk and are responsible for monitoring Infrastructure services. Collaborating with the other teams, the administrator coordinates regular maintenance upgrades and participates in Enterprise projects.
The Systems Administrator provides coaching and mentorship to junior staff, small scale training and presentation to users, and participates in the making of IT policies and procedures to meet regulatory compliance and governance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Triages tickets escalated to infrastructure support team.
- Responds to and resolves support tickets, and where appropriate, escalate to next level or other support groups.
- Liaises directly with users and collaborates with Service Desk to troubleshoot Infrastructure related issues.
- Supports existing procedures for change management, incident and problem management using best practices from ITIL framework.
- Supports internal IT teams and third party integration partners to troubleshoot issues related to network, infrastructure core server services, client-server applications, virtual server, virtual desktop environments, security and telephony services.
- Assists employees to design efficient workflow and adopt best practices in areas related to infrastructure services.
- Participates in security incident investigation, log analysis, and user training on security practices.
- Guides employees and students to use applications, utilities and to adopt IT procedures.
- Shares knowledge with peers and users; updates knowledgebase content using standards such as KCS.
- In collaboration with other IT teams, solicits and evaluates business and technical requirements to recommend hardware, software platforms and hosting environments for secure, efficient and sustainable business solutions.
- Assists with procurement of infrastructure assets, software and maintenance contract renewals.
- Under guidance of senior IT technical members, participates in the design and implementation of major system architecture projects, including workflows, designs, schedules, test plans, system acceptance criteria and user acceptance criteria.
- Level 1/2 Infrastructure subject matter expert for infrastructure projects: participates in infrastructure projects to install and maintain IT related infrastructure such as network routers, operating systems, security systems, application software, storage and backup solutions.
- Automates processes and workloads on systems for improved efficiency.
- Monitors performance and functions of infrastructure services, initiating pro-active maintenance effort as needed.
- Identifies root causes, implements fixes and workarounds for problems; create post-incident reports for incidents with widespread impact.
- Performs trend analysis of system performance, usage and recommends upgrade plans.
- Assumes coordinator role in maintenance work and roles in business requirement analysis, quality assurance in small projects.
- Produces documentation for project work, maintenance work and operation guidelines.
- Performs system backups and recovery to ensure systems are meeting recovery objectives.
- Installs, maintains and monitors datacenter and communication closet infrastructure equipment such as Server and network racks, UPS, network switches, physical servers and other devices; provides network, remote management connectivity and cable management.
- Monitors operations and environmental controls of datacentre and communication closets, taking preventative maintenance measures as needed.
- Maintains inventory of Infrastructure asset in the datacenters, communication closets and other facilities.
- Decommissions and disposes of old hardware and software securely.
- Inspects, maintains, and where necessary, replaces network cabling, voice/data jacks, and other server and network-related equipment.
- Level 1 and 2 maintenance of LAN and WAN infrastructure to ensure network connectivity of all workstations, application servers, back-end office infrastructure, and other devices requiring networking.
- Sets up, configures and supports office phones; maintains phone server backend systems and escalates issues to third-party support as needed
- Ensures designated environments are recoverable, secure, and auditable
- Participates in procurement and RFP processes.
- In collaboration with management, participates in the development of IT procedures and policies.
- Develops documents and maintains policies, procedures and associated training plans for system administration and appropriate use.
- Maintains currency of IT knowledge in Information technology trends and developments.
Education & Experience:
- Two (2) year diploma in computer systems technology, computing studies, or equivalent technology diploma, with focus on server services and network operating systems.
- Completion of recognized industry certification(s) with emphasis on servers, storage, network and cloud technologies in Microsoft, Linux, VMWare, Citrix, Linux, Juniper Networks, Cisco Networks, Palo Alto Firewall, Azure and AWS.
- ITIL 3 or above certifications.
- Four plus (4+) years of combined experience covering the following areas:
- Desktop support in client-services and cloud environments;
- System administration of servers, network and IP telephony technologies, primarily in areas of enterprise server services, enterprise storage, VOIP management, network switch management, network administration and backup.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
- Current experience with managing and supporting virtualization technologies for servers and desktop in midsize production environment. VMWare and Citrix technologies preferred
- Current experience with managing and supporting operating systems for network devices, servers and desktops, including Juniper networks, Microsoft Active Directory, Windows 2012, 2016 and 2019 Servers, Unix/Linux based systems (Redhat preferred), Windows 10 and Apple OSX environments.
- Current experience with managing and supporting core infrastructure services such as firewall system (Palo Alto preferred), DHCP, DNS services, directory services, database services (MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle etc.) and enterprise systems such as ERP, file and print services.
- Current working knowledge of and experience managing VOIP systems in midsize businesses.
- Current experience with managing and supporting cloud technologies, including Microsoft Azure, O365, SharePoint, AWS and other SAAS systems.
- Working knowledge of network and security management tools and techniques.
- Programming and scripting training and experience in Java, C++, PowerShell, CLI and UNIX shell scripting.
- Current experience working with project managers on major projects and knowledge of project management principles, techniques, and methods.
- Experience with knowledge base systems (KCS preferred).
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to respond to urgent situations appropriately to minimize business impacts and work under stress.
- Ability to solicit buy-ins and engage teamwork; strong coordination skills.
- Ability to map business requirements to technical requirements
- Ability to coach junior staff for a high performing team
- Ability to switch between tasks with competing priorities
- Ability to communicate effectively and confidently with others (verbally and in writing), explaining technical concepts/plans to project team in plain language, and to non-technical users.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to organize, prioritize workload, and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated and as a member of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students and service vendors.
- Ability to understand and maintain knowledge of industry trends and standards.
- Ability to write technical and user support documentation.
- Ability to run training for and presentation to a small group of technical or user audience.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform duties within established policies, practices and standards.
- Shift change or overtime outside of regular work days/hours will be required for scheduled system maintenance with advanced notices, and for emergency work on short notices.
- Ability to safely lift and carry various computer-related equipment exceeding 10 kg.
- Ability to work in environments with minor conditions such as noise, dust and cold.