The position details are below or view and apply for the position online, but let’s cut to the chase here.
Why is this position cool?
The company doesn’t care where you are as long as you’re in Canada. If you happen to be close to one of their offices, they offer a relaxed, open environment and a startup culture that encourages innovation. There aren’t many well-established companies in Canada who support virtual teams and offices. If you’re a sys admin looking for a new challenge this year, this is a position worth looking at.
Title: System Administrator
Date Posted: 12/14/2015
Job Type: Contract
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia
The Systems Administrator is responsible for systems automation, architecture, design and day to day maintenance of external web services. This includes the creation of all plans for ensuring functionality, data consistency, security and usability of systems aligned with the organization’s priorities. You will be responsible for diagnosing and resolving performance issues to ensure optimal performance and reliability. You will also be accountable for planning updates and maintenance of hardware and software resources to mitigate limitations.
- Install, configure and maintain server, web and other applications and services
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, application and server configuration upgrades, and resource optimization as required
- Responsible for system administration
- Perform regular system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all key applications and processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups
- Perform application upgrades and testing
- Create, change, and delete user authorities and accounts per request
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues
- Monitor servers and applications for stability taking both proactive and reactive measures to correct and prevent issues
- Provide company personnel and suppliers with timely technical support and guidance
- Repair and recover from system or software failures
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning
- Help define best practices for source control, continuous integration, automated testing and release management
- 24/7 real time systems monitoring
- Occasional ad-hoc after hours support
- Other duties and responsibilities normally associated with the role
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in systems administration
- Possess a solid understanding of both network and systems security
- Able to interpret the operational requirements of end users, project managers, and other stakeholders
- University degree in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent work experience
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS
- Extensive experience with scripting languages: Perl, Python, Bash and Ruby
- Extensive experience with Linux administration: Ubuntu, RedHat/CentOS
- Experience with PostgreSQL databases
- Experience with monitoring tools, Sentry preferred
- Familiar with automation tools, Puppet preferred
- Experience with Domain name registration
- Proficient understanding of SNS and Hover
- Experience with Continuous Integration systems, Familiarity with one or more of these technologies: GitHub, BitBucket.
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are able to maintain confidentiality
- You are able to work independently with little guidance
- You have the drive to learn and apply new technologies
- You have a great attention to detail and show precision in your work
View and apply for this position online.
View All Posts