Support Specialist, Microserve Vancouver
Role and ResponsibilitiesAs a member of the Managed Services team you will be responsible for providing excellent customer service and technical support to our clients and employees. You are a self-starter who can work well on their own and within a team, you are detail oriented and love working with people.
- Perform Level 1 and 2 support in an enterprise environment via phone or remote control
- Respond to user inquiries by troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing problems with Windows PC & Servers, troubleshoot configuration and installation problems.
- Perform PC & server install, System/Application install and patch management, Windows problem determination and resolution, log analysis, etc.
- Identify, diagnose, and resolve network problems including network connectivity, traffic utilization, etc. using available network tools in a timely fashion.
- Configure, test, and maintain Network equipment and services, including switches, routers, firewalls and VPN.
- Provide Infrastructure services in all areas needed: Network/email accounts, password resets, storage networking, Operating System, network security, directory services, server virtualization using system backup and restore, system and network monitoring, application installation and configuration
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation as it relates to server and network topology, equipment, and configuration(s)
- Participate in after-hours upgrades, troubleshooting, and/or on-call availability as needed
- Provide follow-up client contact to ensure satisfactory resolution of service requests and to solicit input concerning need for support services.
- Communicate outages (planned or unplanned), major changes to key stakeholders.
- Be available and willing to work scheduled and unscheduled overtime (on Standby or via Call out), including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays as required.
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Provide regular, proactive updates to internal Microserve teams as well as client representatives
- Continuous learning and advancement of technical skills as required to best support your clients, including self-study, lab time and pursuit of relevant certifications
- Anything and everything that contributes to Microserve’s ability to deliver the best possible service to our clients, and helps us to consistently exceed their expectations
- Other duties as assigned
Qualification and Education Requirements
- 2 year IT related diploma or A+ certification and 1 of the following Microsoft certifications (MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MOS, MTA, and MCSE).
- 2+ years’ experience in IS/IT support preferably in Service Desk, Help-desk, Desktop or Network environment dealing with hardware & software issues.
- Hands on experience with Wired and Wireless networking, PC & Server Support, VM, virus protection, backup systems, Windows Servers, LAN and WAN, VOIP, VMware, Citrix, anti-virus and other various software applications
- Hands-on experience with Windows client operating systems (windows 7/8/10), networking TCP/IP, routers, switches, systems and servers such as DHCP, DNS and understanding of system and network security
- Must be able to follow process and management directives.
- Must have excellent English oral, comprehension and written communication skills and ability to convert technical terms into everyday language to ensure understanding.
- Very detailed and team oriented individual with excellent customer service, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and handle frustrated clients.
- Must be able to multitask in order to reprioritize tasks quickly and deal with constant interruptions while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
- Experience using an IT Service Management tracking system an asset.
- Customer service or Service Desk certification training an asset.
- Knowledge of ITIL Foundations or equivalent experience an asset.
- The ability to lift/carry/move weights up to 50lbs
Network Analyst, Vancouver
Position OverviewMicroserve's client requires a Network Analyst join its team in Vancouver. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week).
The Network Analyst designs solutions for existing complex information network systems including the assessment of facilities bandwidth requirements and system interdependencies. Duties are performed in alignment with the client’s IT's goals and objectives supporting the client's overall mission and customer business needs.
- Ensures the operational stability and service levels of client NET by providing second and third level support and implementation functions in the following networking areas: LAN/WAN, campus and data centre networks, network security and network management systems.
- Resolves complex operational problems through detailed analysis of statistics, packet captures, logs; coordinates problem resolution with vendors and maintains a peer technical expertise liaison with vendors and suppliers.
- Works independently to see operational projects to completion and coordinates with others accordingly. Works collaboratively with peers and team members to meet objectives.
- Multitasks efficiently balancing multiple streams of work, prioritizes workload based on management direction, and works under pressure to resolve challenges and meet project deadlines.
- Demonstrates operational agility, is capable of handling all aspects of NMC functions and performs back up duties for other team members in their absence.
- Participates in rotation duty which involves ensuring normal and proper operations of client NET, coordinating trouble resolutions, monitoring work flows, and assigning tasks to other team members.
- Provides after hours on-call support on a rotational basis and is available off-hours to work on emergency network problems, maintenance, and project activities.
- Maintains technical expertise through active continuing education, research, and participation in network related activities.
- Designs solutions for networking technology related failures and provides administrative support for network systems.
- Assesses facilities bandwidth requirements, system interdependencies, and network performance. Participates in capacity and function planning.
- Installs, configures, maintains and troubleshoots network components.
- Analyzes user requirements and prepare detailed designs and equipment specifications.
- Participates in defining disaster recovery plans and the development of network test plans.
- Monitors network activity and connectivity, troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves network problems.
- Implements network security procedures and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Participates in the development of best practices, standards, procedures and quality objectives across systems infrastructure or platforms.
- Contributes to the evaluation of future technologies and makes recommendations for software and hardware upgrades.
- Provides technical guidance, coaching, and mentoring to team members.
- Maintains appropriate professional designations and up-to-date knowledge of current information technology techniques and tools.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or other related discipline. CCNP, CCNA, or other similar technical certification in routing, switching, or network security. A minimum of 5 years of experience, in-depth knowledge of applications and the business requirements supporting them or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience supporting enterprise LAN/WAN, large campus networks, network operations and network management. Experience working on complex project implementations and network design and analysis experience at a senior level in a large enterprise environment.
- Solid experience in network operations, project implementations, network management, and supporting complex enterprise IP networks. Experience working with and demonstrated depth of knowledge in the following areas:
- Network design of enterprise networks and systems.
- Problem resolution of complex issues through packet capture and analysis and other tools.
- Routing and Switching: 802.1D, 802.1Q, 802.1s, 802.1w, 802.1X, 802.3ad, 802.1AX; HSRP, OSPF, BGP, BGP/MPLS, policy routing, redistribution, multicast; IPv4 and IPv6
- Network Security: various firewall technologies, AAA, ACLs, device hardening, IDS/IPS, various VPN technologies, port scanning, vACLs, best practices.
- Data Centre: network technologies (Fabricpath).
- Service Provider: MPLS.
- QoS and Traffic Engineering (VOIP): 802.1p, classification and marking, congestion avoidance, congestion management, DSCP, IP SLA, MPLS QoS, rate limiting, traffic policing, traffic shaping, videoconferencing and VOIP specific QoS provisioning.
- Network monitoring, management, analysis and orchestration systems.
- Support Systems: DNS, DHCP, Windows, MAC, UNIX, XML.
- Scripting: (python, perl, shell).
- Knowledge or experience with software-defined networks desirable.
- Preferences will be given to individuals with experience in the following areas: Cisco networked environments; customer service environments - provisioning services, determining requirements, customer interaction; service provider environments; ITIL environments and service management tools.
- Solid technical expertise and problem solving abilities. Must be able to effectively resolve technical problems with minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities and work under pressure to meet time sensitive and mission critical deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative and work with limited direction.
- Ability to prepare professional technical documentation that is clear, concise and thorough.
- Takes personal satisfaction from applying creativity to complex problems and satisfying customer needs.
- Collaboration - Actively solicits ideas and opinions from others to efficiently and effectively accomplish specific objectives targeted at defined business outcomes. Openly encourages other team members to voice their ideas and concerns. Shows respect for differences and diversity, and disagrees without personalizing issues. Utilizes strengths of team members to achieve optimal performance.
- Communication for Results- Conducts discussions with and writes memoranda to all levels of colleagues and peer groups in ways that support troubleshooting and problem solving. Seeks and shares relevant information, opinions, and judgments. Handles conflict empathetically. Explains the context of interrelated situations, asks probing questions, and solicits multiple sources of advice prior to taking action when appropriate.
- Problem Solving - Applies problem-solving methodologies and tools to diagnose and solve operational and interpersonal problems. Determines the potential causes of the problem and devises testing methodologies for validation. Shows empathy and objectivity toward individuals involved in the issue. Analyzes multiple alternatives, risks, and benefits for a range of potential solutions. Recommends resource requirements and collaborates with impacted stakeholders.
- Analytical Thinking - Coordinates the information gathering and reporting process. Reviews trends and compares to expectations. Conducts research to define problems and prepares responses to anticipated questions. Prioritizes multiple issues and opportunities. Identifies relationships and linkages within several information sources. Anticipates issues that are not readily apparent on the surface. Identifies root causes and effects. Defines priorities within performance objectives. Reports and identifies areas that need guidance in order to resolve complex issues. Anticipates the possible outcome of potential solutions.
- Information Systems Knowledge - Resolves escalated problems of technical support. Identifies root causes. Sets up and integrates new and enhanced information systems. Identifies customer needs and determines the appropriate approach to apply and ensure resolution. Solicits the input of appropriate technical experts and managers as required.
- Thoroughness - Demonstrates operational agility. Uses organizational systems that result in multiple critical activities to be identified and completed on time. Renegotiates priorities as necessary. Puts systems in place and uses them to monitor and detect errors and problems. Tests and inspects outputs and applies quality checks prior to work submission.
You can apply for the Network Analyst position online or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
View All Posts